Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Some Setbacks...

Okay, this week didn't really go as planned. I was sick in the beginning of the week and couldn't really take pictures of anything (unless I took artsy pictures of tissues and medicine...) But anyway, I did not achieve my goal to take pictures of architecture, but I did end up taking random pictures throughout the week of various things like my dog, a couple things inside and I tried to take pictures of nature.

On the side note, I finsihed reading my book, Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots. The way the author wrote the book was not to act as another owner's manual. It was to teach the reader how to effectively use the different settings on the camera to enhance the photo and not just how to physically change the settings.

I might try and do a bit more of indoor photography if I have time, because I like the challenge of finding something in my house with a good subject as well as a good background. (Indoor photgraphy was not incorportaed in my project from the beginning, but I REALLY liked Carolyn's pictures, and considering I was sick, I decided to incorporate it.)

Here are some of the shots I took, though I do not like any of the ones I took this week:



I wish I could have found an artistic way to take this. And I pretty much failed at the lighting. Its a really bad picture, but I needed to post something.


Yummy....bananas and apples...


Got a little bored taking pictures, just you typical artsy piano picture. 

I took some pictures of my dog too, I thought he would make for an interesting subject.


Apparently, this is comfortable.


I like the close-ups.

One day I did go out and take pictures, it was raining. I have a rain cover for my camera, so everything is covered and nothing gets wet. I had been trying to tak pictures in decent weather but I figured it might be fun to take pictures of raindrops, escpecially when I looked out my window and saw raindrops on the tree.

The pictures that I took pretty much failed. I'll post some down below, for the sole purpose to show how they failed. I tried changing the ISO to match the lighting and the focusing to manual, but no matter how I changed the settings I could not produce a quality picture of something I wanted. I would have played with the settings longer, but I was wet and cold and it was getting dark.



It just wouldn't focus...


Wouldn't focus on the right thing..


I don't know what else to say about this picture besides...yikes


Since I did not achieve my goal for this week, I have a lot of work to do. This next week I want to take pictures of architecture and I want to take pictures at night (or in the dark) Even before this project these were two general themes that I never really took pictures of.

My project is not going as planned, so for the photoshop element of my project, I will most likely end up reading as much of the book that I can (The Photoshop Elements Book 11) and I will spend a decent amount of time working with photoshop and taking even more pictures over this next week and spring break.

I plan to shoot something interesting this week, maybe, so if I do, more pictures will follow!

2 comments:

  1. I do not see why you don't like your pictures because they seem pretty good to me! Then again, I know practically nothing when it comes to photography...I'm sorry you were sick, but you were able to take some cool pictures, even though you didn't like them. Who new bananas and apples and pennies could make such interesting subjects? I think those pictures are cool because they show common, everyday objects in a new angle (literally!). Overall, it seems to me like you are making great progress (although I am sorry you are behind on your weekly goals...) so good job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, observing your progress throughout this project ha made me question that this is your first time using your camera seriously. As Arielle said, I think it's really cool how you can take such simple things and turn them into really interesting subjects.Although you didn't get a chance to meet your weekly goal, I think the pictures you took instead are just as amazing. I mean it when I say I can't wait to see any others that you have in store.

    ReplyDelete