Friday, March 1, 2013

Photos & the Weather

When I chose my project, not once in my mind did I ever consider I would not be able to take the pictures I wanted. It's been rainy, overcast, dreary and the lighting is terrible for photography (especially since I do not know the correct setting to put my camera on in light similar to this). Even though I took some pictures already, they are really basic and not that interesting. It's supposed to be sunny this weekend, so I'm excited to go somewhere and take more pictures!

I spent the past week reading Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots. I find it really interesting to learn about all of these different settings and functions that my camera has that I have never used before. Even though this book is interesting, it is also very hard to understand at some points. I  know a bit about photography, but I never learned the correct vocabulary for it or took any classes on it. The author will mention how to change something on the camera, like ISO and I have no idea what it means.


While I will continue to read the book, I am going to go back and see if I can find more information about "photography jargon," so when I read I will know the importance of the features and how they can be applied to certain types of photos. If I want to learn how to make my photos the best I can make them, it is essential I learn the jargon of a photographer.
 
My plan for the upcoming week is to continue reading the book, and take more pictures. I am going to use a person for my subject (I haven't done that because no one will be my model..) and I want to take some unique motion pictures (I learned how to adjust my camera's settings so I can make one subject appear in a frame multiple times).
 
I can't find anywhere to shoot that would make an interesting photo. Many professional photographers who write the books travel the world taking pictures and aspiring photographers always seem to find places to do a shoot. I want to go into the city one day, because those would be amazing photos, but I can't think of another place that would be pretty. Any ideas?
 
* I plan to take pictures in the next few days so I will upload some to my blog after I shoot this weekend! 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I think your progress is going at a nice, slow pace. You are reading your book to have background knowledge about photography, which I thought was a great way to prepare and learn how to take pictures. I especially like how this book is meant specifically for your camera that you will be using. Also, I have a question. Will nature shots be your main focus or will there be other subjects? Overall, your project seems to be going well and your background knowledge on this topic is coming to a conclusion. I am excited to see your pictures that you will upload!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara it sounds like it's going well! Learning how to really use your camera as a way to compensate for bad weather is great! Like Susan said, having a book specific to your camera is going to be very helpful and is going to be awesome for your project. With your photos, I already told you that if needed I would be your model ;) and for motion shots why not use your dog! He's adorable and it may be interesting to learn how to work with an animal. Also, your backyard is beautiful, it may not be Paris but it has the potential to make an incredible shot!

    ReplyDelete